Saturday, May 8, 2010

Strange Fests

So really, what is the big deal about fests? A huge group of drunk, dirty people climbing on roofs and taking over streets and fields? This does not sound like my idea of fun. And yet, every spring quarter people crawl out of the woodwork to get to these things. What is the allure? Today is Palmer Fest and as one of the bigger fests, everyone is there. Well, everyone but me. I participated in a diversity conference today so I did not go to Palmer, but all day long I have been getting mad texts telling me to get to Palmer, and when I explain that I can't go, it's "oh, poor thing, sucks for you." No. It doesn't. I don't want to be lit on fire or have a couch hurled at me. And, it's cold this year, so why would you want to be out day drinking in 50 degree weather? If there is a fest I will risk it all for, it's number fest, this year 7 fest. Man, I love me some number fest. I don't know what it is, but there's something about getting muddy and running around in a field that gets my heart pumping, and being legally allowed to drink doesn't hurt either. I mean, look at this picture- don't you wish you could have been there?

Want a hug?

A fest isn't a fest without mud!
Photo courtesy myself

Nice and Muddy

Handsome, right?
Photo courtesy myself

As college students, we just can't resist the excuse to drink outdoors with all of our friends enjoying those final weeks of spring quarter. We love the sun, we love the music, we love the people. Fest season is one of the things that makes Athens, Athens and many students are just as attached to the fests as they are the campus. And isn't that strange?

2 comments:

  1. Veronica,

    I TOTALLY agree with you about drinking outdoors. Six Fest is what I think heaven is supposed to be like. Mud, blood and beer — could it get any better? However, I think visitors are starting to ruin it for us. I read 10 out of the 30 people arrested at Palmer Fest don't go to OU. University of Dayton took away St. Patrick's Day and Green Beer Day at the school. Could our fest season be next? I don't have a good feeling about Mill Fest. I hope you can go, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I know, I love getting super muddy, even if it is just one day of the year! I heard that only 10 of the 30 were OU students today and was kind of blown away- it's like Halloween! We know all the rules and how to handle ourselves, but all the guests just go nuts and think they cant get penalized because they're at a different school! Hopefully the fests will last though, they are a fun tradition :)

    ReplyDelete